Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Addition on PT Slab Foundation  (Read 8049 times)

Je3ss & Chris

Addition on PT Slab Foundation
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »

We moved into our home late last year.  We are getting ready to do some remodeling and have been working with a local contractor.  The plan is to add a bedroom onto the rear and reconfigure part of the existing space to add an additional bathroom.

The contractor plans to cut a hole in the slab so his plumber can tie into the existing drains for the new bath.  When we purchased, we had a home inspection.  I looked at the report today to refresh my memory.  The inspector said the house is built on a post-tension slab foundation.  He also mentions in the report that modifications to this type of foundation can be extremely difficult and should be done only under the supervision of a structural engineer.

When I asked the contractor about this issue, he said not to worry - they cut slabs all the time for this type of addition.

Is this something we should be worried about?  If so, who should we talk to for more info?

Jess & Chris

CREIA Inspector

• Global Moderator
  • Inspector
Re: Addition on PT Slab Foundation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »

Jess & Chris

I would follow your inspector's recommendation. Post cable tension concrete foundation slabs can be modified, but the modification should only be performed under the supervision of a structural engineer AFTER the slab has been x-rayed.  The x-ray procedure will determine the exact location of the cables and will be used as a guide for where to cut into the concrete slab and where not to cut. 

Post tension cables in a residential slab foundation are under extreme tension, hence the name "cable tension slab" and can be very dangerous and cause serious damage including personal injury if accidently cut.

CREIA Inspector

Yashwantsingh

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:35:35 AM »

I have got a similar kind of problem. I have recently got PT slab constructed and now I require to place some optical cable drawing machines on this slab. Please suggest what to do?

Linda

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »

We plan on replacing an island of cabinets onto our kitchen floor.  We have a post tension slab.  Can we go ahead and install using the special screws that are used for concrete? Or is there a possibility of hitting the rebar?  What are your suggestions?
Pages: [1]   Go Up