Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: gas water heater was required to be 18" raised from the floor II  (Read 6580 times)

Sarrahe

Hi there,

I have a similar question about the water heater.  A Fire Marshall came to the property that I plan to move into to use as my home and business.  She said the water heater needs to be raised 18" above ground, but the problem is that there is only 13" between the top of the water heater and the ceiling of the basement.  What can I do in this situation?  She suggested a water heater called "instant hot".  Can you tell me how much it will cost to buy and installed one?

I also spoke to a contractor and he said that not long ago, there was a law that passed that said new water heaters can be sitting on the ground and does not need to be raised 18" above ground because the pilot is concealed in an enclosed container therefore, it will not ignite anything near by.  Please tell me if this is true and if yes, where can I find the regulation code for this?  I need proof to show to the fire Marshall.

CREIA Inspector

• Global Moderator
  • Inspector
Re: gas water heater was required to be 18" raised from the floor II
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:22:59 PM »

Sarrahe,

The 2010 California Mechanical Code, section 307.1 states, in part, that an appliance that generates a glow, spark or flame capable of igniting flammable vapors must be installed with the pilots, burners or heating elements and switches at least 18 inches above the floor when the appliance is installed in a garage.  Although you didn't mention where the water heater is located, Iíll assume that since the Fire Marshall wants the water heater elevated that itís in a garage.  This would be consistent with current code. Assuming the water heater in question is not located in a garage then it would be reasonable to assume that having it installed directly on the floor would be acceptable.  I would recommend contacting the Fire Marshall for an explanation and justification for his/her requirement to raise the water heater. If not located in a garage there may be other hazards nearby that the Fire Marshall believes justify the requirement.

The above quote is from an answer to a previous question and applies to your question as well.
The key words here are ďin a garageĒ (since this is where a possible gasoline leak could produce flammable vapors).  If the basement does not present that kind of hazard, we would not expect that the official would require the heater be raised. The California Plumbing code that addresses this issue is 508.14(1). This code section also states that Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant water heaters do not necessarily have to comply with this section. However, it should be noted that the authority has the right to impose more stringent restrictions than the code.  We recommend that you speak to the fire marshal again and ask for an explanation of his/her ruling.
CREIA Inspector

maggie

Re: Re: gas water heater was required to be 18" raised from the floor II
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »

When I sell my house, do I need to have my water heater braced if its in a closet of its owned, locked , plus it was bought prior to 1991.

CREIA Inspector

• Global Moderator
  • Inspector
Re: gas water heater was required to be 18" raised from the floor II
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »

Maggie,
Yes the water heater must be braced in accordance with current standards. There is  no exception for a water heater installed in a locked closet.
CREIA Inspector
Pages: [1]   Go Up