Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy Efficiency Audits & Inspections  (Read 4481 times)

Connie Wells

Energy Efficiency Audits & Inspections
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:28 AM »

I was disappointed that my home inspector did not mention or make comments in his report about the energy efficiency of my home and how it could be improved. Isnít this required?

CREIA Inspector

• Global Moderator
  • Inspector
Re: Energy Efficiency Audits & Inspections
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »

The answer to your question is both Yes and No. The Business & Professions Code 7195 was altered in 2001, and now includes language indicating that a home inspector may provide energy information as part of the inspection.  It is however not a mandatory requirement to do so.

A number of CREIA Inspectors have Energy Efficiency Rating Certification and provide this service for an additional fee. I would recommend that you contact one and arrange to have an Energy Efficiency Audit performed.

The law that created those changes was Assembly Bill 1574. It also includes a provision mentioning home inspectors in the Public Resources Code. Section 25401.7 of that code and states that inspectors shall provide contact information on home energy for a nonprofit organization, a utility provider, or a government agency such as the State Energy Resources Conservation and Development commission. This a requirement that all home inspectors must include this information in their report.

Your inspectors report should have included information similar to this as required:

Resources For Lowering Your Energy Costs

Online Consumer & Business Conservation Rebate Database: www.consumerenergycenter.org

California Department of Consumer Affairs: www.dca.ca.gov/enenergy-challenge.htm

Utility Bill, Rebates, and Other Assistance

California Energy Commission, 1-800-722-3300 or online at www.consumerenergycenter.org for information on utility bill assistance programs.

The Community Energy Center database is a great search site for nealy any public and private conservation or efficiency rebate and/or reduction program in California and gives specific details and contact information - go to the following website at www.consumerenergycenter.org/rebate/index.php

California Public Utilities Commision Consumer Affairs Branch, 1-800-649-7570 or online at www.cpuc.ca.gov, for assistance with making payment arrangements, information on baseline and other optional rates, and information on bill assistance programs.

Local utility companies (partial list)

-PGE @ 1-800-743-5000 Edison @ 1-800-655-4555
-San Diego Gas and Electric @ 1-800-411-7343
-Southern California Gas @ 1-800-427-2200

Help for Low-Income Residents
California Deparment of Community Services & Development at 1-800-433-4327 or online at www.csd.ca.gov/lihap.htm, for information on the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

CARE or the California Energy Alternative Rates discount program provides a 15% supplemental discount off utility bills for low-income consumers.  The program is administered by the California Public Utilities Commission, but consumers must submit an application through one of four local utilities.  Master Applications are attached as part of this kit.

-PGE @ 1-800-743-5000
-Edison @ 1-800-655-4555
-San Diego Gas and Electric @ 1-800-411-7343
-Southern California Gas @ 1-800-427-2200

Seniors and Special Needs

Medical Baseline Emergencies: Utility companies must make special provisions for people of all ages and income levels on life-support equipment or with certain medical conditions.  If a loss of electricity could be a threat to their lives, they should, contact their electric utility to apply for the Medical Baseline program - for the number of their local utility, have them call Flex Your Power for a referral @ 1-866-968-7797.  The program provides a variety of benefits, including a larger allotment of low-cost baseline electricity and advance notification of rotating outages.

CREIA Inspector

Trent

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »

I am a Realtor with Keller Williams with a client who would like to utilize a Energy Improvement Mortgage (EIM).  Looking through the list of CREIA inspectors, I cannot tell which ones have energy efficiency rating certification.  Having called a few of them, none of them have the certification and claim not to know of anyone who does.  There is clearly a niche here as every buyer that I work with is interested in green ratings and I'd bet would be willing to include it with the physical inspection.

CREIA Inspector

• Global Moderator
  • Inspector
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »

Currently CREIA does not have a specialty certification or designation in place. The Board of Directors of CREIA is looking at future designations that may include energy efficient ratings, but that niche (green ratings) would have to be filled outside of our organization. There are organizations like Build It Green that may fill the gap until CREIA is able to implement a certification or designation. Also, since Build It Green already has a Memorandum of Understanding with CREIA, I would recommend you search online with that organization to satisfy your clientís green ratings needs.

Following is a suggested link to a resource for what you need.
http://cbpca.org/

CREIA Inspector
Pages: [1]   Go Up